Monday, September 14, 2009

Why fans of television should hope for a Jay Leno failure

Whether or not you think Leno is the funniest guy in the world or the most boring person in the world, there is a clear and present danger posed when NBC gives him the 10 o'clock slot 5 nights a week. Television has always been a 3 hour primetime event. The comedies are in the 8 o'clock hour, 9 has something more dramay (pronounced drama-ee), and 10 has the serious dramas. While there are deviations in the format, no network has ever embarked on something so radical as putting late-night talk instead a scripted show.

Echoing George Kennan, we must contain this invasion of late-night talk onto our sacred ground (I'm being facetious). If Leno succeeds, could we see Letterman or Kimmel at 10? ABC is struggling with their programming, and 5 hours a week they don't have to worry about sounds like a godsend. Could networks' really have 5 less shows a week because a late-night guy wants a piece of the action?

I expect the numbers for the first week to be great, probably over 3.5 in the 18-49 demo, but I don't think it'll last. That may just be my wishes projected onto my thoughts, but I am genuinely worried. The Jay Leno Show represents a danger to all television, scripted or unscripted, and I hope all those who share my view do not watch.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

After giving it some thought, Having Jay Leno on at 10pm kinda sucks. I'm not watching as much as I thought I would

Related Posts with Thumbnails