Friday, September 18, 2009

Review - Fringe Season 2 Episode 1 (S02E01) A New Day in the Old Town

Did you catch the X-Files reference? I know you're wondering why I'm bringing this up first, and I'm not sure if I've mentioned this before, but The X-Files is my favorite TV show of all time. If you didn't catch the reference and have it recorded, got back to 2:33. The victim of the shapeshifter is watching an episode of The X-Files. The episode in question is Dreamland Part II. If anyone remembers the episodes, it involves Mulder switching bodies with an Area 51 employee. I'm not sure if that counts as foreshadowing since most people either missed it or couldn't recognize what it was, but it certainly related to the episode. There was another reference with Broyle's saying something about X designation whatever that means.

Just a warning, I'm not the biggest J.J. Abrams fan except for his work early in Alias (maybe Felicity). I won't go on ranting and raving on how great he is; I think he goes for thrills and twists as a priority instead of the story. That's a perfectly reasonable way to make shows, and people like it.

I loved the discussion in the supermarket between Walter and Peter. Apparently Walter thinks Peter liked custard as a child and Peter insists he didn't. This kind of innuendo about the alternate universe is part of Abrams that I love. Walter seems to be trying to make it up to Peter like somehow some custard is going to repair any damage ripping someone out of another universe causes. The scene in the end where Astrid, Walter, and the cow said happy birthday to Peter was very unsettling.

Most of the episode, Olivia was bedridden after get thrown through a car window from the alternate universe. How she got from the WTC to the car is anyone's guess. She doesn't remember any specifics, but know there is something urgent to do. I think too much of the episode was spent on Olivia since we knew she wasn't going to die, but her condition does seem to push Peter and Broyles to action.

The shapeshifter thought it had killed Olivia, but when it failed, whoever was only the other side of an awesome typewriter ordered it to interrogate her, and then eliminate her. It fails after quick thinking by Peter and is cornered underground. Charlie supposedly kills it, but the last scene reveals that it had in fact killed Charlie and has taken his place. Predictable? Yes. Cool? Yes. I guess we now know what Kirk Acevedo meant when he got fired. He'll probably be gone by midseason. There's no way an imposter can last for a whole season. Oh wait, Lost season 5...

Charlie's new replacement is Agent Jessup who was exceedingly boring and annoying until we see her connecting Pattern events with Biblical phrases. She seems like a very generic character, but her belief that somehow the Pattern is related to the Bible is certainly interesting. That does not make her character interesting though, but then again, I don't find any character in the show interesting other than Walter.

Score: 8.5/10

10 comments:

jessica said...

stopped by to see your thoughts on fringe. personally, i love the show. but i was even more excited to see your opening line - the x-files is my fave show of all time, too!

(though i don't/haven't watched any other abrams shows.)

crimsoncat05 said...

I didn't catch that X-files reference, I'll have to look for it! What I did catch was when one of the committee members made reference to "the old X designation, now Fringe cases" during Broyles' hearing... I wasn't too thrilled with the season opener- maybe my expectations were just too high, but some of it seemed inconsistent; not sure what I think of the new agent (except: couldn't they find someone who didn't look soo much like Olivia?), but I do love Walter- and he and Peter's relationship- so I'll keep watching.

TV Obsessed said...

Yeah, it's never a question of watching or not watching unless it falls to the quality of Heroes, it's just that the show gets lots of hype and attention and doesn't really live up to those expectations.

Anonymous said...

Hey there!

I got the feeling that somehow Olivia is Peter's mom. What do you think about that?

TV Obsessed said...

How would that work? I doubt it since the producers have indicated a Peter/Olivia relationship somewhere down the line and incest will put off almost everyone.

Anonymous said...

I've sow that sign!! I Thougth I was the only crazy that can catch that! I miss xfiles, I really like fringe and more now that they do that and make us use our heads and try to connect everything.

Thanks for the review!
Sorry for my english

Anonymous said...

incase you missed peters grave.

peter was bought over from the other side because he died as a child after being very ill. hence his childhood being different to what peter remembers and them liking different things

at least thats my guess

Anonymous said...

If peter came over from the other side, he should have abilites, as it's been suggested that olivia has.Who is after peter? Why? is he a mercury person? I think he's going to play a big role in olivia's life! mainly in protecting her, don't know how yet! he's been swiping parts from labs and is building something and it wassn't the machine to restore walters records, dose the head of massive dynamics , the woman know who and what he really is??? did bell program him? to protect his daughter??? lots of possibilities left in the show yet,I don't think he has any feelings for olivia in a romantic way, just a protective way as he was programed, her sister is another matter!

PHATJAK said...

Did anyone notice a huge goof? How is possible the doctor(shifter) kill charlie change in him if we guess that this happened after the shots peter hears and runs towards him? In the end of the episode we see charlie(shifter) dropping the original body into the fire. It doesnt make sense as when the shifter changes the original body stays there. Which leads to the question how did the doctor killed charlie shifted in him but her body is there when she was already been killed during her break in earlier scene? Nobody noticed????

PHATJAK said...

Did anyone notice a huge goof? How is possible the doctor(shifter) kill charlie change in him if we guess that this happened after the shots peter hears and runs towards him? In the end of the episode we see charlie(shifter) dropping the original body into the fire. It doesnt make sense as when the shifter changes the original body stays there. Which leads to the question how did the doctor killed charlie shifted in him but her body is there when she was already been killed during her break in earlier scene? Nobody noticed????

Related Posts with Thumbnails