Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Review - Warehouse 13 Season 1 Episode 11 (S01E11) Nevermore

Last week, someone asked me on Twitter why I give Warehouse 13 such high scores in comparison to my generally negative remarks. In 3 tweets, I replied " I know there's lots of problems with the show, but at heart it's a show about fun and nice banter and I don't expect more. There's other shows with plotholes and inconsistencies that don't have the chemistry or dialogue that I would rate lower.I see so many obvious ways the show could improve that I have to point them out. Maybe I do skimp a little on the compliments." Ok, maybe not the most cogent response, but you get my point.

Warehouse 13 has had the benefit of several high profile guest stars from other Syfy shows (Tricia Helfer, Joe Morton, Mark Shepard, etc), and so far has criminally misused them, giving them meager roles completely unnecessary to their caliber. Today's Syfy guest of the week was Michael Hogan who as we all know played Colonel Tigh on the BSG remake. He plays Myka's father who she has a troubled past with. This fact seemed to be lost on the writers who I thought would at least keep some semblance of the animosity between them even after she called him in an earlier episode, supposedly mending their relationship., He spent much of the episode confined to a chair moaning and groaning, and had a few good scenes out of the chair. In true Warehouse 13 fashion, his performance wasn't anything special, but it was still adequate.

The artifact was very cool, and the visual effects that went along with it were probably my favorite of the show. It was Edgar Allen Poe's pen and notebook which have a weird effect together and apart. The story about the stalker student was iffy, especially since we don't know what happened to him, but I liked seeing what his (or Edgar's) twisted mind came up with.

Claudia finally went out into the field and worked nicely with Pete and Myka. She always brings well-needed comedy into her scenes and so far, the fan reaction has overwhelmingly been positive. The acting on Warehouse 13 is average to above average, but one thing that bothers me is that at times Joanne Kelly overacts the dramatic parts, and this showed in the beginning of the episode.

Next week is the big showdown with MacPherson which I hope will have a real climax. Artie's desire to find him and Mrs. Frederick's cautiousness clashed this week, but they will probably mesh next week with good results. I had another thought that is a little weird. When Mrs. Frederick first shows out, Artie asks her "What did you do with Leena?" This got me thinking, have Leena and Mrs. Frederick ever been in the same scene? Is it possible they are the same person?

Score: 9.0/10

Review - Warehouse 13 Season 1 Episode 10 Breakdown

Review - Warehouse 13 Season 1 Episode 9 Regrets

Review - Warehouse 13 Season 1 Episode 8 Duped

1 comments:

R V said...

Great review, I liked the way you have honestly reviewed the site. Bloggers are required to give honest opinions about a particular topic. This is the duty of a blogger which unfortunately not most of us are doing properly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails