Thursday, September 24, 2009

ABC's Eastwick lacks magic, but manages

I found the show enjoyable. It was light, good natured, and fun, but I didn't see anything that would keep me watching. I can see how the how would appeal to people; it's a bit like Desperate Housewives with magic. I've seen many bad reviews for the show and honestly I don't see why they hated it so much. The dialogue was really fresh for the first act and had a fairly interesting premise.

Some coins fall beside a group of women they make wishes, and toss them into a fountain. Later, they discover they can do certain things. A rich guy named Darryl Van Horne (Paul Gross) comes to town and buys everything. He eggs the women on to embrace their desires.

It touched on social issues like women in the workplace, women's vs men's roles, and had a bit of family drama involved. Each woman has their own issue and it could be interesting to see how they deal with it. Roxanne (Rebecca Romijn) is a cougar (yes I know, another cougar...) and her boytoy wants to be her boyfriend. She has dreams of the future but doesn't fully understand her ability. Kat (Jaime Ray Newman) has an alcoholic husband and after she accidently shocks him with lightening, requests a divorce. Joanna (Lindsay Price) struggles to assert herself at work, but her newfound powers starts changing things up.

Will it continue watching? No, it's not my kind of show. Will other people keep watching? Definitely. I saw lots of things in the show that others might like. I've seen complaints about the whole anti-feminism thing, but it's too early to tell.

Score: 8.5/10

1 comments:

Barbara said...

Well I'm someone that really did enjoy the show but yeah I guess it wouldn't appeal unless you happen to like a certain type of show and I'm a Charmed fan and I also watch Desperate Housewives so I found it really fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails