Wednesday, September 23, 2009

ABC's Cougar Town takes on different subject

Bill Lawrence's (Scrubs) new comedy Cougar Town airs tonight but I have a review already. Courteney Cox plays Jules Cobb, a recent divorce that just can't get back into the dating game. There's nothing wrong with her, except she's over 40 and there's slim pickings at that age, not that I have any experience. Seriously.

Basically the show revolves around a group of older woman and sex. I don't really like the idea, but there's certainly lots of jokes the writers can make out of it. I'm curious to see the demographics that watch the show. I'm a guy, and the whole idea of the show is unappealing. Even after watching the episode, I still felt ambivalent. There were plenty of funny moments that I laughed at, but I would like to see more before I put my seal of approval on it, not that any really cares.

One of Jules's friends is Elle played Christa Miller who has sex with her unattractive husband, but is fine with it. Her other friend is Laurie played by Busy Philipps who pushes her to find guys. Eventually she finds a young guy and has sex with him 3 times, learning later his name is Matt. Her friends have funny reactions to this as expected.

Her son Travis (Dan Byrd) is in high school and is humiliated by a real estate sign her mom has that shows all her assets. Apparently, kids are stealing the signs to do things... He also walks in on Jules and Matt, and later his dad is at the high school mowing the lawn shirtless. His life must suck.

I'm not sure if I'm going to watch next week. My Wednesdays are open, but I just don't like the concept. Watching a show about cougars doesn't really interest me though I'm sure others like it. It's a preference thing, and I'm not going to dock any points for that. The acting and writing were good.

Score: 8.7/10


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails