Friday, November 6, 2009

Review - Supernatural Season 5 Episode 8 Changing Channels

I loved this episode so much and laughed so much, I didn't even care about the mythology. There was loads of significance with the reveal that the Trickster is Gabriel, an archangel, and that Dean vs. Sam is an eternal conflict paralleling the Lucifer Michael battle, but if the episode didn't have any of that I wouldn't have minded.

Every now and again Supernatural has a funny episode that hits it out of the park. 'Changing Channels' was one of the best funny episode, so I'll give a rundown on what I thought of each show.

The cheesy sitcom opening credits were hilarious and so weird for a show that is so dark sometimes. The rest of the sitcom was less funny, but still very funny with Sam and Dean playing along.

Dr. Sexy M.D. was initially funny, but dragged on too long. About halfway through the episode there had only been the sitcom opening and the Grey's Anatomy spoof, and I thought there could have been more shows parodied if the writers can cut the hospital stuff short. The similar music and reference to ghosts really got me. I very, very rarely watch Grey's Anatomy, but I recognized the type of sentimental music and that the ghost referred to Denny who is played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan who plays John Winchester on Supernatural.

The Japanese game show looked oddly authentic and I could imagine people in Japan actually watching or playing it. The reaction of the game show host was priceless.

The Herpexia commercial was funny, but it was very creepy. Since the commercial just starts, we don't get to see exactly how Sam comes to be the one to deliver the message, but it was a lot of fun seeing Sam struggle to say his lines while Dean is the background playing basketball.

The CSI parody was directed mostly at Miami and H's ridiculous one-liners. If you don't know, the characters actually call Horatio Caine "H." I laughed so many times as Sam and Dean kept doing their Horatio impressions. The thing about CSI: Miami is that it's in Miami. It's wild, it's brash, and it's supposed to be over the top which is all part of the appeal of the show.

When I saw that Sam was a talking red splotch, I was wondering if it was really what it was, and then the music came on and I nearly gagged. I loved how similar it was to the original Knight Rider opening, just with Metallicar instead of the Trans Am. My only grips is that it would have been if there was a voice over in true Knight Rider fashion.

Yes I know the important part of the episode was Gabriel and there was a good 8 minutes dedicated to him, but the laughs overshadowed him. If it had been any other kind of episode, I'd be talking about the revelation.

Score: 10/10

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails