Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Review - Alphas Season 1 Episode 11 Original Sin

Sorry for not reviewing Alphas last week. I spent my free time on Monday watching all the shows I hadn't watched the night before and by the time I was done the Tuesday shows had started. So everything snowballed from there and I wasn't able to review Alphas. I liked the idea of the episode, putting them in confined area and sowing distrust among them. The reveal of the actual mole wasn't bad either, though I would have been really crazy if one of them had actually been the mole.

The first season finale of Alphas brings great promise of a show reaching to break out of the Syfy bubble. It tackles the issues head-on and, unlike other Syfy shows, does not back down in the end, reseting to the comfortable position. Instead, Alphas forges ahead, after the already-shocking massacre of Red Flag alphas, and sends the show in an entirely new direction with Rosen's revelation to the entire world. There's no turning back from this.

Even if the writers didn't go ahead and have Rosen give his big speech, Alphas would still have plenty to work with at the end of the first season. There's a government willing to imprison alphas, willing to kill them. And there's Stanton Parish who Danielle, Rosen's daughter, is working for. This is good stuff already and I'd be fine with that. But the episode ends with the vigor it did, Rosen dragged out and the signal lost, and it seals the episode, and the show, amazingly.

Score: 9.3/10
Related Posts with Thumbnails