Monday, November 2, 2009

Review - Dexter Season 4 Episode 6 If I Had a Hammer

'If I Had a Hammer' was another one of those filler episodes that didn't have much going for the main story, but was filled with setup with multiple subplots that are developing. Filler episodes can be good or bad, but in the context of Dexter, they are generally bad. I'm not sure about other people, but I expect more action from Dexter and not too much of a psychological look at the characters.

Dexter met face to face with the Trinity Killer who has been going across the country building houses with his family and killing people along the way. In a sense, the Trinity Killer is a more sophisticated, evolved version of Dexter. He can maintain a perfect family life and kill at the same time. Dexter is struggling to balance the two and gets helpful advice from Arthur Mitchell (the seemingly normal version of the Trinity Killer).

I'm already over Rita and Dexter being married and living together. Rita is sweetly oblivious to Dexter's real activities and comes across as just annoying when she tries to resolves issues. Rita allows Dexter to look deeper into himself, but I wish Rita would be less obnoxious. She's so flighty that at the end of the episode, everything is fine.

There was more angsty stuff between Maria and Angel I could do without, and Deb is about to find out Dexter's real mother. Anything not related to Dexter by now seems old and is hard to watch. As you can probably tell, I'm not the biggest fan of Dexter, and I can see why many people are. Dexter is such a captivating character that he can overcome the rest of the shortfalls in the show.

Score: 8.5/10

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails