Saturday, June 11, 2011

Review - Camelot Season 1 Episode 10 Reckoning

This may make me a bad person, but I laughed out loud several times while watching the season finale. Obviously that wasn't the intent of the writers. I think I finally realized how silly the show is. The episode begins with Arthur doing Rambo stuff, culminating in an "epic" battle comprised of 5 guys chopping down 50 useless people. At least Spartacus was visually mesmerizing while delivering killings. Camelot is just the same, tired chopping we've seen everywhere.

I'm not entirely sure why I laughed at the next item, but I did.   Maybe it's the fact that the writers feigned to get Leontes into the clear by having everyone survive the fight. Once the writers made it clear that they wanted both Arthur and Leontes to look like virtuous people, it was clear that the only viable path would be if Leontes died.

Morgan becoming queen seemed, to me at least, something that might have come from a comedy. All the lines of dialogue fall into place perfectly, building and building until it's only logical that Morgan become queen. The people are enthralled by her and every single line panders directly to her. But wait! Before Morgan can bask in her glory, there's this slow clap coming from the back. It's Arthur! The look on his face was enough to have me laughing and the clapping pushed me over the edge.

And then there was the needless deaths. I can understand why Sybill had to die--though not why she had to return as Obi-Wan Kenobi--but Igraine's death was entirely senseless. She manages to spit out the last piece of information that she actually saved Morgan by sending her to the convent. And the result? After toiling for a while, Morgan returns to her business.

It's taken a while and I'm not sure why I didn't seen it sooner: the writers have no clue what they're doing. Between the various unfulfilled plots, Camelot has not solid ground even after 10 episodes. The writers are still floundering from idea to idea--Morgan shifting from internal usurper to internal child bearer--and there isn't much to look forward to.

Score: 7.6/10
Related Posts with Thumbnails