Sunday, July 26, 2009

How does the BSG finale influence your perception of the series as a whole?

With the complete series boxset (way overpriced) and the season 4.5 DVD coming out next week I was thinking about the whole series and how I view the series after knowing what happens in the series finale. From an objective standpoint, the finale and the whole fourth season frankly does not make much sense. Everything the survivors have done are actually in the hands of a god that works in mysterious ways. There's random, benevolent angels that had previously seemed useless or just plain batty. In fact, they are the ones who saved humanity. Kara Thrace? She used to be the hotshot pilot, but now she's some kind of divine being sent down to guide humans to a home. I don't know what Ronald Moore was thinking, but it seemed like he wanted something grand, something out of control of the puny mortals, but it's clear from the miniseries and the first few seasons, that was never the intent of the show.

As much as I like shows with a solid, understandable plot, not once did I think the draw of BSG was just the storyline. When I think of shows, the first thing I think about are the characters, and BSG does not disappoint. There is a vast array of complex characters that continually develop and the acting is top-notch. From President Roslin, the Adamas, Starbuck, the Agathons, BSG is one of the few shows that has such a wide variety of cast that it explores with depth.

Now I'll admit that the fourth season does take the wild turn that people like, except this one was out of the blue, and didn't really fit with the whole theme of the story. Yes there are enough huge plotholes for the Galactica and all the Raptors and Vipers to fly through, but I never minded. As clear as day, The X-Files is my all-time favorite show, yet the whole alien storyline has no beginning, middle, or end. Instead it is piece of information pilled on top of more information. There is 9 seasons of build-up and no conclusion other than the rare resolution to some issue. I continue to watch Lost even though there are lots of things that won't be explained. 

Not everyone can be a J. Michael Straczynski (Babylon 5), so I'm fine with whatever Ron Moore, Chris Carter, or J.J. Abrams throws at me. I don't expect a TV show with 22 episode seasons to have a perfect storyline or even a well-envisioned one. A few story arcs with continuity is fine with me. I won't fault BSG for a finale about divine intervention, but the rest of the show was amazing and much better than the original, and that's all I can ask for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you all the way. It seems with the siting of the X-files, LOST and BSG, that you have the same interests in TV that I do, though I never caught on to Babylon 5. I guess I need to dive into that one. Anyway, I too was left scratching my head and being somewhat disappointed at the finale of BSG. After some time passed though, I decided not to let that detract from the ride it took me on. I never watched an episode of the original so I can't comment there, but this one pulled me in deep and was fantastic. In TV, movies or books, I need and intense story that blurs good vs. evil thing and characters that pop out and come to life right next to me. BSG most certainly delivered that.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you all the way that you're a sack of shit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails