Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Social media is free advertising

I got my second warning on Youtube for copyright infringement, both times by HBO for clips shorter than 3 minutes. One more warning and my account will be closed. If you've followed my videos, they are brief and exciting--content that will attract viewers. They are cool clips for people who don't watch the shows and let people rewatch scenes they like. The only result is increased interest in the shows. That means more viewers and more advertising revenue. I'm not posting entire episodes for people to watch nor am I showing enough for people to understand what happened. In fact, the only possible outcome is  more people wanting to watch the shows.

Somehow, HBO feels the need to taking down my clips and give me official warnings. Warner Bros on the other hand flags my videos, but keeps them up, because they know the clips help them gain and retain viewers. The details of the law are on HBO's side. However, in an attempt to enforce the law, HBO has limited itself in an access point to the public. With content on Youtube, HBO shows will get more exposure whether it be from related videos or people randomly looking around. The interconnectedness of Youtube has created stardom and fame, and can do the same for television shows.

Interestingly, the second offending clip, the opening credits to The Pacific, was flagged initially by Youtube's automated system and was allowed to stay up with advertisements to iTunes and Amazon for the music. In recent days, the video, for whatever reason, gained a substantial amount of views. Why they would go back and delete the video baffles me.

As the 21st century progresses, there will be more ways to share content and with millions of people using the internet, companies must adapt and allow user content to exist for the sake of staying competitive. The most effective users of social media are average people, and while corporations have tried to leverage social media, they still lag behind in implementation and reach. Clamping down on Youtube is a prime example.

I will continue to post clips, but I will avoid HBO. If they don't want more people to know about their shows, it's their choice. I'll be fine posting clips from shows like and letting people know about them.

Update on 3/31

Well, it happened sooner than I thought. Sony filed a complaint against a short Breaking Bad clip I posted, so I got my third strike and a bad. All my other videos were also removed which means no "island" clip, no pizza clip, or the cool Chuck clips. Sony doesn't want the clip on Youtube. Why? Where is the benefit in removing short clips?
Related Posts with Thumbnails