Thursday, July 16, 2009

Why the Emmy Awards are lame

This morning I awoke to the random musings of a some old guys that think they understand television. While I don't claim to be an expert, there are obvious misgivings that I simply can't ignore.

I first want to go into the mindset of the Emmy voter. If it stinks of scifi or is beyond the realm of possibly, cross it off. Battlestar Galactica can't possibly be good drama. After all, look at Star Trek, what a joke? True Blood? Just a bunch of horny vampires and humans fornicating in a southern town. Instead, polygamous Mormons is high-brow and deserving of a nomination.

Season 5 of House was the weakest yet, but it was still nominated. They're telling me Foreman and Thirteen is good drama? The Chase, Cameron cliche was good drama? Cuddy and her baby? Maybe the revelation in the end was a good shock, but who cares?

Entourage? I didn't know people were still watching that. The show became boring a long time ago. The biggest gripe I have is with the nomination of Family Guy for outstanding comedy. The show is far, far past it's prime, and viewers are fairly critical of the declining quality. Yet these brilliant people on their high horses think that this is the year it finally should be recognized. No...it should be recognized when the season deserves recognition.

That's the majority of my complaints, so I want to get into some more subjective topics. I thought the Boston Legal nominations were kind of stupid. I thought Elizabeth Mitchell should definitely have gotten recognition for lead actress in a drama. If I had a choice of Losties, I would pick her over Michael Emerson for a nomination. I think a number of people on BSG, especially Mary McDonnell and Eddie Olmos could have been on the lists. When I saw the nominations for supporting actress in a drama, I immediately spotted Cherry Jones for 24 since it got almost nothing for the major categories. IMO, Annie Wersching did a much better job than Cherry who I found grating at times. Both Kiefer Sutherland and Carlos Bernard were amazing this season, but whatever... Another omission was Chuck which was passed over. Yes it's funny, yes Zach Levi is brilliant, but do they care? No

The one bright spot that I saw was Simon Baker in The Mentalist. Like I said in an earlier post, I think Patrick Jane is my new favorite character, on par with Shawn Spencer played by James Roday on Psych. They nominated Monk, why not Psych?


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails