Thursday, August 26, 2010

Review - Royal Pains Season 2 Episode 12 Open Up Your Yenta Mouth and Say Ah

I've posted a few reviews of Royal Pains this season, not because I don't have anything to say, but because I'd sound irritated after each episode. Royal Pains is the one show this summer which made me clench my teeth. Sometimes I'd stop in the middle of the episode and continue it again the next day. Since this is the last episode for a while, I'll say a few quick things.

"Open Up Your Yenta Mouth and Say Ah" (Seriously, does any non-Jew care about the title or phrase?) felt a lot like the Burn Notice summer finale. There was lots of rubbish before the ending, in which case Royal Pains stepped up to the majors, delivering, in my opinion, a better shocker than Burn Notice, with Eddie R. Lawson outed as a fed-monkey (my made up word).

What makes this midseason finale worse than Burn Notice's, however, is the same problem that has plagued the second season--the soap opera-ish character stuff which come in spades, filling the entire episode and forcing out the medical stuff. Divya discovers true love, despite being engaged to another guy, Evan and his girlfriend being great together, Hank and Jill not in a relationship yet meeting each other every, Eddie trying to win his sons' favor, and variations on those seem to go on forever. It exposes another flaw, the acting. The more and more these scenes extend, we can see the awkwardness and lack of chemistry between all characters, except, perhaps, with Divya.

I was honestly ready to let go of Royal Pains before tonight, but given the ending which really took me by surprise, I'm inclined to continue watching in January just to see what happens.

Score: 8.4/10
Related Posts with Thumbnails